History & Mission
What Is the ACLU
Advocate for Individual Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Founding of the ACLU
When Roger Baldwin founded the ACLU in 1920, civil liberties were in a sorry state.
ACLU: Fighting for Equal Protection Under the Law for All
Largest Defender of Civil Rights… in the World
Mission, Vision, and Core Values
The ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all through education, litigation, and policy advocacy.
We envision a society where fairness prevails and where liberty and justice exist for all.
As a non-partisan organization committed to fulfilling the aspirations of the Bill of Rights, the ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties believes in:
• The dignity and equality of every human being
• Vigilance against abuse of power
• The principled approach rather than the convenient one when individuals’ rights are at stake
• Speaking truth to power even when it is unpopular to do so
• Fairness and respect in human and organizational interactions
• An educated and participatory public