ACLU California Action: Operations and Finance Director Opportunity
ACLU California Action seeks applicants for a full-time Operations and Finance Director to be based in Sacramento, CA. ACLU California Action is a newly established nonprofit tax exempt 501c4 organization created by the leadership of the three ACLU affiliates of California (the ACLU of Northern CA, ACLU of Southern CA, and ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties.) ACLU CA Action will have its own Executive Director and Board of Directors. For a number of years, these affiliates have collaborated on statewide policies and advocacy work with a focus on the Capitol through the ACLU of CA Center on Advocacy and Policy. ACLU CA Action will build on that legacy and house the Center on Advocacy and Policy and have a bold presence in Sacramento to ensure the development and successful passage of an ambitious and comprehensive state legislative and policy agenda for the ACLU each year and over the long term. Also, ACLU CA Action will work to enhance political power and influence for the ACLU and our movements statewide. ACLU of California Action upholds freedom, advances equity, and justice, and ameliorates historic and systemic discrimination in all of its work. ACLU California Action will work with the affiliates to move forward statewide policy more effectively and forcefully as collaborative partners.
The Operations and Finance Director is a new senior level position serving as the primary staff person responsible for the financial management, human resources, operations, technology, and other administrative systems of ACLU CA Action. This person will report to the Executive Director and provide systems and support for the entire staff team of ACLU CA Action. ACLU CA Action will initially have a $2.5 million budget and a staff of 12. Responsibilities of the Operations and Finance Director will include coordination of responsibilities assigned to administrative staff, independent contractors, and vendors of the organization who provide services in administrative functions. The Operations and Finance Director will collaborate with and be able to consult with peers at the ACLU California affiliates and the National ACLU.
The key duties for fulfilling the job’s purpose include:
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Prepare annual budget and oversee finances
- Maintain and administer accounting system
- Prepare timely financial reports
- Serve as primary contact for vendors, auditor, bookkeepers, and other contractors and specialists
- Ensure all funds are spent according to restrictions
- Provide overall leadership and coordination of full range of HR needs
- Serve as the primary contact with external human resources vendor and specialists
- Ensure timely and accurate lobbying reports are submitted to FPPC and ensure compliance with all other state and federal laws related to nonprofit organizations, lobbying, and political activity
- Ensure that an annual audit of finances is conducted with an outside accounting firm
- Provide oversight of any other areas of compliance for the organization
- Ensure necessary levels of insurance, address issues of risk, and act as primary contact for insurance providers
Operations and IT
- Ensure that the ACLU CA Action office and any remote employees have the administrative and operational resources needed to carry out their work
- Provide oversight of the ACLU CA Action Sacramento office, including relations with landlord, facilities issues, etc.
- Oversight and maintenance of the organization’s overall IT systems, hardware and software, working with contractors, specialists, and service providers
Other Administrative Duties
- Analyze and report on operational and administrative data and systems
- other duties as assigned to support the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and legislative advocates
- Previous experience in the administration of a nonprofit, business, or other organization at least seven years of relevant experience, supervisory experience a plus
- Experience in nonprofit financial management, administration, human resources preferred, especially in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with start-up organizations or at ground level a plus
- Ability to anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate smooth operations and schedules for various staff members and members of the Board of Directors
- Demonstrated experience applying principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in previous work, especially in applying those principles to organizational management and administration
- Experience managing organizational budgets
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with staff, Board members, vendors, and contractors while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Strong verbal, written, and listening communication skills with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content
- Experience in ensuring smooth hiring and onboarding processes for new employees and members of the Board of Directors
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams, and Zoom.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $95,000 – $125,000 depending on applicant’s experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents, and spouse or domestic partner; life and long terms disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. The U.S. Department of Education has determined that employment in this position does not qualify for the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Phyllis Quan, ACLU CA Action Search Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject title “ACLU CA Action Operations and Finance Director Position.” Deadline for applications is November 6, 2020.
ACLU CA Action advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, ACLU CA Action strives to establish and maintain and equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.