ACLU: Protecting American Values and Fundamental Freedoms for All
We invite you to take pride in protecting fundamental American values of freedom, fairness, and equality for all by becoming a proud card-carrying member of the ACLU. Our work sticking up for the little guy is part of a great American tradition.
The ACLU works daily in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the rights and freedoms our founders guaranteed in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the laws of the United States.
WHO WE ARE
We are a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that reaches out to and represents anyone whose fundamental freedoms have been violated. We are the largest organization defending civil rights and civil liberties in the world.
The ACLU protects American values and preserves American freedoms. Our job is to conserve America’s civic values – as expressed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights – and defend these rights even when its unpopular to do so.
Protecting the freedoms of those with whom the majority disagrees or despises is the only way to keep those precious rights alive for future generations. Sticking up for the little guy is fundamental to preserving the integrity of our democracy.
The ACLU’s work is sustained by more than 500,000 members and supporters who play an active role in defending freedom.
- Nearly 200 ACLU staff attorneys and thousands of volunteer attorneys handle thousands of civil liberties cases every year.
- Our legislative advocates are a constant presence on Capitol Hill and in state legislatures working on civil liberties issues.
- The ACLU has staffed offices in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
We have been at the forefront of protecting freedom and fairness since our founding in 1920.
– Teaching evolution.
– restoring the balance of powers, which swung too far to the Executive Branch in past years and trying to uncover the whole truth and seek accountability for torture, Guantanamo, rendition, and domestic spying
– opposing Arizona’s racial profiling law
– blogger Conor Friedersdorf points out.
– Defending Conservatives. Although our work to expand fair and equal treatment of the law to all including women, African Americans, Latinos, lesbian, gay, and transgender people, and others’ has led to the perception that the ACLU is liberal, we have stood up in countless cases for the rights of political conservatives, including such prominent figures as Rush Limbaugh, Oliver North, and Senator Larry Craig. Joining the ACLU is the single best way to take pride in protecting fundamental American values of freedom, fairness, and equality for all.
Other reasons include:
– For the sixth consecutive year, the ACLU has received a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent evaluator of charities.
– The ACLU also meets the highest standards of The Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
– Your support goes to helping our advocacy on the most urgent issues and cases.
– Your membership entitles to you the famous ACLU membership card so you can be a proud card-carrier.
– Your membership also entitles you to newsletters from the local and national ACLU, as well as invitations to special events.
– And, in July 2011, there’s an extra incentive for joining the San Diego ACLU: New members who join by July 31 will receive a free ACLU Pride t-shirt!