Black-Led Grassroots and/or Volunteer Organizations in San Diego and Imperial Counties (a partial list)
Updated August 27, 2020. To add a Black-led grassroots and/or volunteer organization to this list, or to update or correct your organization’s listing, please email us at email@example.com. While we have indicated whether contributions to the organizations listed below are tax-deductible, we recommend that you confirm the tax-exempt status of any organization before contributing.
Advocacy, Community Organizing, Public Policy
- BAPAC SD: The San Diego Chapter of the Black American Political Association of California works to ensure the economic, social, and political force of the Black community in San Diego County remains relevant. Contributions to BAPAC SD are tax-deductible.
- SAN DIEGO BLACK LGBTQ COALITION: The San Diego Black LGBTQ Coalition’s mission is “to build a united front of diverse Black LGBTQ community members for our social, political, and economic advancement by forming a central hub for San Diego Black LGBTQ life.” Contributions to the San Diego Black LGBTQ Coalition are tax-deductible.
- BLACK LIVES MATTER SAN DIEGO: The San Diego Chapter of Black Lives Matter believes in and fights for liberation for all black people. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contributions to BLM San Diego are not tax-deductible.
- COMMUNITY ADVOCATES FOR JUST AND MORAL GOVERNANCE (MoGo): Founded by two Black women lawyers who have dedicated their lives and careers to secure racial equality, social justice, and greater access to quality education, MoGo is committed to engaging in litigation and various forms of advocacy that will make government more just and fully accountable to all people, particularly those who have been marginalized from society. Contributions to MoGo are tax-deductible.
- MARCH FOR BLACK WOMXN SAN DIEGO: March for Black Womxn San Diego works to lift up demands for racial justice and to advocate for political change focused on intersectional women’s rights issues. “M4BWSD will continue to march, organize and advocate until our demands [are] met.” Contributions to March for Black Womxn San Diego are not tax-deductible.
- MAS-PACE: MAS-PACE is an advocacy, community organizing and leadership development space. We are a division under the Muslim American Society, a national grassroots organization. MAS-PACE serves to educate, engage, and organize the Muslim American community to build grassroots community power through advocacy, civic engagement, leadership development, coalition building and taking charge of our own narratives. Contributions to MAS-PACE are tax-deductible.
- NAACP NORTH COUNTY CHAPTER: “The mission of the North San Diego County NAACP is to empower under-served community members with the knowledge to improve their social and economic status through advocacy, human and civil rights services.” Contributions to the NAACP North County Chapter are not tax-deductible.
- NAACP SAN DIEGO BRANCH: “The NAACP’s principal objective is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of minority citizens of the United States and eliminate race prejudice. The NAACP seeks to remove all barriers of racial discrimination through democratic processes.” Contributions to the NAACP San Diego Branch are not tax-deductible.
- PAVING GREAT FUTURES: “Paving Great Future’s goal is to rehabilitate San Diego’s marginalized and at-risk communities by fostering economic, social, and political development – particularly the development of the recently incarcerated.” Contributions to Paving Great Futures are tax-deductible.
- PILLARS OF THE COMMUNITY: Pillars of the Community is committed to embracing and celebrating the historic, rich, and diverse culture of Southeast San Diego. “We strive to counter the criminalization of our community through community organizing, leadership development, and strategic partnerships. Our vision is for a healthy and thriving Southeast San Diego which reflects the rich and diverse culture of all its members.” Contributions to Pillars of the Community are tax-deductible.
- SAN DIEGO BAIL FUND: The San Diego Bail Fund, also known as the DeDe McClure Memorial Community Bail Fund, “is a grassroots organization committed to educating and empowering community members to fight against the devastating effects of the cash bail system, and supporting those who have been victimized by it.”
Community Care & Support
- WE ALL WE GOT SD: “We All We Got SD is a non-judgmental group which is here to provide community support. We operate under the value that what we provide is solidarity, not charity. This means that it is not our role to determine which items someone may need to survive. We respect people’s ability to determine what they need and what is right for them. We trust all people to make their own decisions.”
- COMMON GROUND THEATRE: Common Ground Theatre’s mission is “to produce classics and new works by and about people of African descent that entertain, educate, and connect with audiences of all ages, cultures, and backgrounds. As the premier San Diego Black theatre, our aim is to produce high quality theatrical productions that provide a ‘common ground’ for people of all ages, cultures, and backgrounds to participate, interact, connect and share their love of theatre.” Email: email@example.com. Contributions to Common Ground Theatre are tax-deductible.
- WORLDBEAT CULTURAL CENTER: “Known throughout California and Mexico for its exterior murals celebrating Egyptian, African, and Indigenous Cultures, the WorldBeat Center is leading as one of the most-important multicultural art and event centers in San Diego.” Contributions to WorldBeat Cultural Center are tax-deductible.
- CENTRAL SAN DIEGO BLACK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: $1 million fund to provide relief grants to the nearly 22,000 Black-owned businesses in San Diego County that are hit harder by COVID-19 than other communities. Contributions to the Central San Diego Black Chamber of Commerce are not tax-deductible.
- EARL B. GILLIAM BAR FOUNDATION (EBGBF): EBGBF provides vital resources to the San Diego Community by offering public education seminars, academic support, and legal events in furtherance of our mission. They rely on the generous support of donors to ensure they can continue supporting law students and African American legal professionals grow as attorneys, obtain and maintain employment, develop private practice as sole practitioners or partners within law firms, and advance in public sector employment. Contributions to EBGBF are tax-deductible.
Immigrant | Refugee
- PARTNERSHIP FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF NEW AMERICANS (PANA): PANA is the first and only refugee-focused research and policy organization in the state. “We are committed to supporting refugees in their journey for achieving economic and social transformation. PANA is committed to working with refugee communities in owning their power to bring about social change at the local, regional and national level. Our mission is to promote the fair treatment and equitable inclusion of refugee communities using organizing to achieve collective impact and policy change.” Contributions to PANA are tax-deductible.
Leadership & Professional Development
- BLACK WOMEN’S INSTITUTE FOR LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT (BWILD): BWILD is a 501(c)(4) organization founded by Assemblymember Dr. Shirley Weber in 2017. Its mission is to create an alliance of women of the Afrikaan diaspora that provides guidance and support for a career in public service that may lead to running for elected office or leadership positions on boards and commissions. Contributions to BWILD are not tax-deductible. Non-tax-deductible 501(c)(4) donations can be mailed to: Black Women’s Institute for Leadership Development, P.O. Box 152452, San Diego, CA 92195.
- RISE SAN DIEGO: RISE San Diego’s mission is to elevate and advance urban leadership through dialogue-based civic engagement, dynamic nonprofit partnerships, and direct training and support to increase the capacity of urban residents to effect meaningful community change. Contributions to RISE San Diego are tax-deductible.
Mental Health & Community Healing
- DEPOSITING EMPOWERMENT THROUGH OUTREACH & URBAN REDEVELOPMENT (DETOUR): DETOUR is a mentoring program for girls of color. DETOUR’s vision is to see equity and inclusion for teen girls of color in higher education and priority sector employment. Contributions to DETOUR are tax-deductible.
- NORTH COUNTY AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN’S ASSOCIATION: The North County African American Women’s Association provides a support network through education, health awareness, and life skills programs for women and girls in San Diego North County to increase their self-sufficiency. Contributions to the North County African American Women’s Association are tax-deductible.
Imperial County Black-Led Grassroots and/or Volunteer Organizations
- IMPERIAL VALLEY SOCIAL JUSTICE COMMITTEE (IVSJC): The Imperial Valley Social Justice Committee (IVSJC) works for political, educational, social and economic equality, addressing issues of inequity and injustice in the Imperial Valley including human rights, voting rights, racism, homelessness and police reform. IVSJC is a 501c3 organization. Contributions to the IVSJC are tax-deductible. Contact: Marlene Thomas, 760-235-8412, firstname.lastname@example.org. Donations via Venmo: 1V-Social justice.
- BLACK LIVES MATTER IMPERIAL COUNTY:The Imperial Valley Black Lives Matter is currently active in community involvement and Community awareness. They advocate for Justice and Equality across the board from comprehensive Immigration reform to advocating for fair and equitable criminal justice and providing shelter and wholesome meals for the most vulnerable in our community.Contributions to the Black Lives Matter Imperial County are not tax-deductible. Money will be used exclusively for Black Lives Matter Imperial Valley to promote Justice and racial equality and socially empowering people of color. Contact: Hilton Smith, 760-996-2012, email@example.com.