Job Announcement – Community Liaison – Imperial Valley
The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLUF-SDIC) is seeking a full-time Community Liaison for our El Centro office.
The ACLUF-SDIC is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 civil liberties and civil rights organization working to advance equality, freedom, and justice, and while there are many ACLU offices around the country, our work covers the length of California’s border with Mexico.
We work collaboratively with our sister affiliates in California, along the U.S-Mexico border, and with the National ACLU. In addition to our sister organizations, the ACLU values partnerships and collaboration with community organizations and groups across the state and along the border.
The ACLUF-SDIC has a proven track record of success combining litigation, policy advocacy, legislation, research and analysis, public education, strategic communications, and community organizing to achieve meaningful social change.
As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and organizing to fight these un- Constitutional policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual, eager to take on an unparalleled opportunity to be a part of our expansion into Imperial County. Community engagement is a key to our success and an integral part of our ability to ensure civil liberties.
We need someone who is energized by being part of a dynamic organization and who knows how to make every ally and community partner feel important. Our ideal Community Liaison sees an opportunity for connection everywhere and enjoys bringing people together to support our civil liberties.
Reporting to the Senior Community Advocate, the Community Liaison is responsible for developing close relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations representative of local communities.
Your Major Responsibilities Will Include:
- Support the Sr. Community Advocate in planning and executing campaigns;
- Represent ACLU in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners;
- Collaborate with Sr. Community Advocate to develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities of the region;
- Speak publicly on behalf of ACLU;
- Help plan, organize and publicize ACLU events in Imperial Valley;
- Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities for organizing campaigns;
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU staff to execute large and effective community actions (hearings, rallies, etc.);
- Maintain database of ACLU supporters in Imperial Valley;
- Implement a leadership engagement ladder program to identify, recruit and train members, community leaders and volunteers to engage in civil liberties campaigns and programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Please Do Not Apply Unless You Have
- Some experience in base building, membership recruitment, or leadership and strategy development.
- Knowledge of Imperial Valley political landscape and regional community dynamics.
- Passion for ACLU’s mission and values.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, organizing, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish required.
- Valid automobile driver’s license and working vehicle required; this position will involve extensive travel throughout Imperial County. Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends.
- A commitment to equity, in matters of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic
About Our Culture
We are a diverse workforce and take pride in our ability to attract and retain employees with a huge array of backgrounds and experiences. We work hard but we also like to celebrate our successes. We take the time to high-five, eat together, and celebrate together.
Salary dependent on experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation; 13 office holidays; medical and dental insurance for staff members, and their families; life- and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, a current resume, names and contact information of three professional references (including at least one supervisor), Kindly put “ACLUF-SDIC Community Liaison – your name” in the subject line of your email. If possible, please combine all documents into one PDF file.
Electronic applications are preferred. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
However, hard-copy applications can be mailed to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.