The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLUF-SDIC) seeks a creative, dynamic, Digital Media Strategist.
The ACLUF-SDIC is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 civil liberties and civil rights organization working to advance equality, freedom and justice together with our 501(c)4 organization, the American Civil Liberties Union of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU-SDIC). We work collaboratively with two other ACLU
affiliates in California, with ACLU affiliates nationwide and with the National ACLU. In addition, we value partnerships and collaboration with community organizations and groups across the state and along the U.S.-Mexico border.
The ACLUF-SDIC and ACLU-SDIC have proven track records of success using impact litigation, policy advocacy, strategic communications and community organizing to defend and preserve the individual rights and freedoms guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and U.S. laws.
The Digital Media Strategist plans, develops and executes ACLUF-SDIC and ACLU-SDIC (hereafter referred to as “ACLU-SDIC”) social media strategies. This individual manages our websites and social media platforms, paid and organic social media marketing projects, blast email production, graphic and video production, data analysis, trouble shooting and tech support. Working collaboratively with the communications team, other ACLU colleagues (in this affiliate, statewide and nationwide) and external partners, the Digital Media Strategist utilizes the skills and tactics necessary to amplify and publicize our work, educate the public, engage our diverse audiences, and effectively influence how our issues are framed in social media. The Digital Media Strategist reports to the Communications Director.
- Establish and maintain ACLU-SDIC’s social media calendar to engage with diverse audiences
- Generate, edit, publish and share compelling, error-free content with ACLU members, volunteers, supporters, activists and the public at-large daily
- Curate ACLU-SDIC social channels, monitor and respond to audience comments
- Create engaging graphics to accompany social media and blog posts
- Increase reach and engagement on all ACLU-SDIC social media platforms
- Oversee and track the growth, quality, reach, and optimization of ACLU-SDIC’s social channels, setting and measuring metrics
- Monitor analytics, trends, tools and applications and recommend new tactics and strategies as needed
- Maintain up-to-date, innovative and engaging ACLU-SDIC websites with strong, curated graphic elements
- Compose and edit SEO-rich content for publication
- Oversee daily maintenance, support and design
- Analyze site performance metrics and make recommendations on content, site design and/or features as needed to optimize effectiveness
- Drive full video production process including pre-production planning, storyboarding, set-up, shooting, post-production editing and broadcasting to target audiences
- Plan and perform post-production tasks, including conversion of video formats, color correction, audio adjustment, adding graphics, captions, voice-overs, music and other content
- Deliver finished videos that are informative, engaging, in alignment with ACLU-SDIC’s brand, vision and narrative, and suitable for broadcasting via social media, web applications and other platforms
- Ensure ACLU-SDIC’s public face and voice are consistent and well-branded across all platforms
- Work as a part of the communications team to conceptualize and create engaging, sharable multi-media content
- Work as a part of the communications team and in collaboration with ACLU colleagues to identify opportunities to promote the affiliate’s work and resources, and to meet reach and engagement objectives for ACLU-SDIC digital platforms, email action networks and website
- Coordinate and collaborate with ACLU California Action colleagues to promote statewide policy objectives
Our “Must Have’s”
The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties encourages qualified candidates of all backgrounds to apply. An individual joining the ACLU-SDIC communications department as Digital Media Strategist must have a strong commitment to the mission, vision and goals of the ACLU. This individual must have a strong commitment to social equity and demonstrable understanding of how power is manifested in matters of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances. This individual must be an avid consumer of news and information and possess the ability to analyze, synthesize quickly, and express ideas succinctly and persuasively. They must be committed to teamwork, have an exceptional ability to stay organized and possess keen attention to detail. They must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and demonstrate confidence working with diverse stakeholders. The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Four or more years of professional experience in front end development, managing and planning for digital platforms
- Proven track record driving growth of online audiences
- Strong writing and editing skills, especially for social media messaging
- English-Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required
- Strong creative skills and an eye for visual detail
- Proficiency with social media advertising, issue-based campaigning, brand or advertising strategy
- Proficiency with digital platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Medium, WhatsApp and Hootsuite
- In-depth knowledge of CRM technology, Google Analytics and social media analytics trackers
- Proficiency with Drupal 7
- Proficiency with HTML/SASS/CMS
- Proficiency with video post-production
- Proficiency with audio, video and multimedia hardware, including DSLR cameras
- Proficiency with Adobe video editing software such as Premier Pro, After Effects Design and Photoshop
- Strong creative skills and an eye for visual detail
- In-depth knowledge of graphic design, styles and layout techniques
- Proficiency with design software and technologies such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Canva preferred
- Ability and willingness to quickly adapt to new technologies
- Ability and willingness to quickly adapt to changing circumstances
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional credibility
- Ability to accept criticism and revise work when necessary
- Willingness and availability to work evenings and weekends, and travel when necessary
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member with enthusiasm, optimism and a sense of humor
What Else You Should Know:
The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and seek applicants who can contribute to our inclusive culture. We encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, veterans and people with arrest records and/or convictions.
Starting salary range: $58,500 - $65,000. Salary dependent on experience.
Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation; 18 office holidays; medical and dental insurance for staff members, and their families; life and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement; a current resume; three professional references (including at least one supervisor); and three examples of your work, including a social media campaign plan and a short (under two minutes) video. Kindly put “ACLUF-Digital Media Strategist – your name” in the subject line of your email. If possible, please combine all requested information into one PDF file.
Electronic applications are strongly preferred. Please submit your application via this weblink.
Hard-copy applications can be mailed to:
ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties
P.O. Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.