Job Announcement: Lead Organizer
The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLUF-SDIC) is seeking a full-time Lead Organizer.
The ACLUF-SDIC is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 civil liberties and civil rights organization working to advance equality, freedom, and justice, and while there are many ACLU offices around the country, our work covers the length of California’s border with Mexico.
We work collaboratively with our sister affiliates in California, along the U.S-Mexico border, and with the National ACLU. In addition to our sister organizations, the ACLU values partnerships and collaboration with community organizations and groups across the state and along the border.
The ACLUF-SDIC has a proven track record of success combining litigation, policy advocacy, legislation, research and analysis, public education, strategic communications, and community organizing to achieve meaningful social change.
As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and organizing to fight these un- Constitutional policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual, eager to take on an unparalleled opportunity to be a part of our outreach in San Diego and Imperial Counties. Community engagement is a key to our success and an integral part of our ability to ensure civil liberties.
We need someone who is energized by being part of a dynamic organization and knows how to make every ally and community partner feel important. Our ideal Lead Organizer sees an opportunity for connection everywhere and enjoys bringing people together to support our civil liberties.
Reporting to the Advocacy Director, and in close collaboration with the Deputy Advocacy Director, the Lead Organizer will play a key role in leading the ACLUF-SDIC’s organizing work.
Your Major Responsibilities Will Include:
- Work with Advocacy Director, Deputy Advocacy Director, and Community Organizers to develop strategic campaigns related to local, state and national policy objectives;
- Supervise Community Organizers;
- Oversee implementation and expansion of leadership ladder, integrating it into our campaign plans and using it as a tool to diversify our membership base;
- Develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities of the region;
- Work with policy staff to ensure coordination;
- Identify, recruit, and train ACLU and community members to participate in civil liberties campaigns and programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Please Do Not Apply Unless You Have
- 4+ years of experience in organizing diverse communities, membership recruitment, leadership development and strategy development;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, training and communication skills;
- Ability to work with diverse communities;
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor.
- Valid automobile driver’s license and dependable vehicle, and ability to take extended travel.
- A commitment to equity, in matters of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexualorientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
About Our Culture
We are a diverse workforce and take pride in our ability to attract and retain employees with a huge array of backgrounds and experiences. We work hard but we also like to celebrate our successes. We take the time to high-five, eat together, and celebrate together.
Salary dependent on experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation; 13 office holidays; medical and dental insurance for staff members, and their families; life- and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, a current resume, names and contact information of three professional references (including at least one supervisor), Kindly put “ACLUF-SDIC Lead Organizer – your name” in the subject line of your email. If possible, please combine all documents into one PDF file.
Electronic applications are preferred. Please email to [email protected]. However, hard-copy applications can be mailed to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.