Job Announcement: Organizer
The ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLUF-SDIC) seeks a dynamic Community Organizer. The Organizer will be responsible for creating a network of civil rights and civil liberty community advocates to advance the ACLU’s vision and values in San Diego.
The ACLUF-SDIC is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 civil liberties and civil rights organization working to advance equality, freedom, and justice, and while there are many ACLU offices around the country, our work covers the length of California’s border with Mexico.
We work collaboratively with our sister affiliates in California, along the U.S-Mexico border, and with the National ACLU. In addition to our sister organizations, the ACLU values partnerships and collaboration with community organizations and groups across the state and along the border.
The ACLUF-SDIC has a proven track record of success combining litigation, policy advocacy, legislation, research and analysis, public education, strategic communications, and community organizing to achieve meaningful social change.
As we move into a new era and face dangerous policies that threaten our civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and organizing to fight these un-Constitutional policies and protect our most cherished rights and freedoms.
Under the supervision of the Advocacy Director, the Organizer will be responsible for developing close relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations representative of local communities. The Organizer will develop and execute an annual work plan designed to promote participation in local, state, and federal campaigns; build an active base of community advocates who can be mobilized to participate in meetings, rallies, hearings, and delegations; create a volunteer leadership development process that empowers the community; build relationships with community organizations, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities to advance our civil rights and civil liberties campaigns. The Organizer will work in collaboration with ACLU policy, communications, and legal teams at the affiliate and statewide levels.
Specifically, the Organizer will:
- Develop organizing campaigns around key civil liberties and/or civil rights issues that are generated through community interest and vision, and aligned with affiliate’s priority issue areas
- Represent ACLU in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners
- Develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities of the region
- Speak publicly on behalf of ACLU
- Develop, conduct, and widely publicize trainings that promote grassroots leadership, strategic issue campaigns, organizing, and coalition building on priority issue areas
- Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities for organizing campaigns
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU staff to execute large and effective community actions (hearings, rallies, etc.)
- Identify, cultivate, and develop strong community leaders who will lead campaigns that pursue our civil rights priorities
- Other duties as assigned
Our “Must Have’s”
- A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Two years or more experience in base building, membership recruitment, and leadership and strategy development. Ballot Initiative or electoral campaign experience highly preferred.
- Passion for ACLU’s mission and values.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, organizing, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Valid automobile driver’s license and working vehicle required; this position will involve extensive travel throughout San Diego County. Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends.
About Our Culture
We are a diverse workforce and take pride in our ability to attract and retain employees with a huge array of backgrounds and experiences. We work hard but we also like to celebrate our successes. We take the time to high-five, eat together, and celebrate together.
Salary dependent on experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation; 13 office holidays; medical and dental insurance for staff members and their families; life- and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, a current resume, names and contact information of three professional references (including at least one supervisor), and a writing sample. If possible, please combine all documents into one PDF file.
Electronic applications are preferred. To submit your application, please go to https://aclufsdic.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=2 and submit your application.
However, hard-copy applications can be mailed to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.