Special Projects Associate
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU) seeks a full-time, dynamic team-player to be its Special Projects Associate.
Founded in 1933, the San Diego ACLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization, which promotes and protects individual rights and fundamental freedoms, including First Amendment rights, Equal Protection, Privacy, and Due Process, through education, litigation, and policy advocacy.
Located in San Diego, the ACLU affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has twenty-three staff members, twenty board members, 9,000 members, and an annual budget of $3 million. San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and second largest in California. San Diego County has the third largest number of registered voters in California. Imperial County is the poorest county in California.
The San Diego ACLU works collaboratively with the ACLU affiliates headquartered in Los Angeles and San Francisco, as well as a lobbying office in Sacramento. Together, the three affiliates have more than 110,000 members and 120 staff people in California.
Position Overview and Functions:
The Special Projects Associate will provide programmatic support to several areas at the affiliate, including the communications and development teams while also running the affiliate’s volunteer program.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Perform special research projects and other duties as needed or assigned by Executive and Leadership Teams.
- Coordinate the affiliate’s annual Constitution Day program, including school and speaker outreach, planning, materials development, day-of coordination and trouble-shooting, and follow-up.
- Coordinate the affiliate’s annual San Diego Pride contingent, including community outreach, event planning and staff communication.
- Assist the development team in event planning and administrative support, including coordination of the quarterly Luncheon Conversations and Liberties at Night.
- Recruit, train and manage the volunteers for the affiliate’s volunteer program.
- Provide support to the communications team as needed, which may include the production of materials and other administrative tasks.
- Assist the Youth Organizer in event planning and administrative support for the affiliate’s Inspire San Diego youth civic engagement program.
- Commitment to and knowledge of civil liberties. Familiarity with work and mission of ACLU.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Event planning experience preferred.
- Proven attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks and finish projects within deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated, organized, and adaptable.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and other computer programs.
- Ability to work with diverse communities. Spanish bilingual strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: By March 24, 2014, interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of references, preferably by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Special Projects Associate
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.