Escondido City Council to Consider Housing for Immigrant Children
This summer, the Escondido Planning Commission denied a Conditional Use Permit to provide housing for unaccompanied immigrant children. The ACLU is concerned that the City is undermining the rights of immigrants and violating the law.
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties appealed the Commission’s decision to the Escondido City Council, which will consider the appeal on Sept. 10, 2014. Learn more about the Escondido Planning Commission’s flawed decision here.
The Escondido City Council needs to hear from city residents and others who frequently visit. We believe the Council needs to understand three main points:
- The Planning Commission’s decision is not supported by the facts.
- The proposed facility will be a benefit to the local economy, and Escondido residents support it.
- On top of these practical, factual concerns, the people of Escondido are compassionate and believe that children fleeing to escape violence should have a safe haven while waiting to have a judge determine what’s best for them.
It will help the Escondido City Council members to hear directly from you. A more detailed examination of the arguments can be found here. But you can use these land use arguments as a starting point:
- The impact of the housing would be virtually identical to the nursing home that operated on the site for 30+ years. Staffing and occupant numbers would be similar.
- Issues of parking, traffic, and noise are bogus. They were based on fear, not fact. The immigrant youth housing would have no negative impact on the community.
- The facility would add 100+ jobs and $8.5 million to the local economy.
- An abandoned, neglected building isn’t good for Escondido.
You can send emails to each of the councilmembers at:
- Mayor Sam Abed: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deputy Mayor Olga Diaz: email@example.com
- Ed Gallo: firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Masson: email@example.com
- Michael Morasco: firstname.lastname@example.org
or send a letter to:
[Name of Councilmember]
Escondido City Council
201 North Broadway
Escondido, CA 92025