Job Announcement: Administrative Assistant
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU-SDIC) is seeking a full-time
Administrative Assistant to support the Director of the ACLU of California’s Criminal Justice and Drug Policy Team. Working with the Director in collaboration with ACLU colleagues around the country, the Administrative Assistant will play an integral role in facilitating scheduling and communications for the projects.
About the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties, ACLU of California, and the ACLU Campaign for Smart Justice
The ACLU-SDIC is a civil liberties and civil rights organization that uses the tools of litigation, legislation, policy, communications, and organizing to advance equality, freedom, and justice. The ACLU-SDIC is one of three affiliates comprising the ACLU of California. In addition to the San Diego office, ACLU of California offices are located Los Angeles, Orange County, and the Inland Empire (ACLU of Southern California); and San Francisco and Fresno (ACLU of Northern California); and a Sacramento Center for Advocacy and Policy. Together, the ACLU-CA affiliates employ more than 160 staff and have more than 200,000 members.
The ACLU Campaign for Smart Justice is an unprecedented, multiyear effort to reduce the U.S. jail and prison population by 50% and to combat racial disparities in the criminal justice system. The Campaign is working in all 50 states to usher in a new era of justice in America, including through changes to the money bail system, prosecutor practices, sentencing, parole, and reentry.
Key areas of work
Based in San Diego, the Administrative Assistant will:
- Manage the Director’s calendar, travel, and communications.
- Facilitate communication between ACLU staff, affiliates, and national.
- Administer and curate online filing systems.
- Organize and execute meetings for local, statewide and national ACLU teams and our coalition partners.
- Oversee compliance with team staff’s reporting requirements.
- Develop and manage tracking systems for relevant news and affiliate developments.
- Participate in internal ACLU calls and collaborations as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, time management skills, and ability to juggle multiple projects on a daily basis.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency with Outlook, Excel, Microsoft Office, Windows 7 and 10.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high-quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with team members and organizational partners.
- Cultural competency with diverse communities and cross-cultural communications.
- Ability and willingness to be a self-starter who can work independently and in teams.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor.
- A desire and vision to protect and advance civil rights and civil liberties.
- Personal experience with the criminal justice system (arrest and/or conviction) preferred.
- Two+ years’ administrative experience preferred.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Reporting & supervision
The Administrative Assistant will report to the CJDP Director and be a crucial member of the organization’s Criminal Justice & Drug Policy Department.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of five references. Please send application package by October 15, 2017, preferably by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.