Job Announcement: Communications Associate
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU-SDIC) is seeking a full-time Communications Associate to provide critical support for the ACLU-SDIC Communications Department efforts to develop and disseminate strategic messages that serve to broaden the ACLU’s reach and influence and mobilize informed support for our mission.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess strong writing and editing skills for presenting complex civil liberties issues to the public in a broad range of styles. S/he will have excellent spelling and grammar, be highly attentive to detail, and work well under tight deadlines. S/he will strongly support priority issues of the ACLU and be familiar with social justice, civil rights, or civil liberties issues.
About the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
The ACLU-SDIC is a civil liberties and civil rights organization that uses the tools of litigation, legislation, policy, communications, and organizing to advance equality, freedom, and justice. ACLU-SDIC affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has 35 staff, 23 board members, and an annual budget of $4.8 million. The ACLU-SDIC is also part of the ACLU of California, a collaborative of the three ACLU affiliates in California. The ACLU’s California offices are located in San Diego, El Centro, Los Angeles, Orange County, the Inland Empire, Fresno, San Francisco, and Sacramento. Together, the three affiliates have more than 285,000 members and 200 staff people in California. In addition, we work collaboratively with our sister affiliates along the U.S-Mexico border. The ACLU also values partnerships and collaboration with numerous community organizations and groups across the state and in the border region.
Position Overview and Functions:
The Communications team serves as the ACLU-SDIC’s primary storytellers and content creators, developing compelling narratives about the ACLU’s work and the people whose constitutional rights we defend. The Communications Associate works cooperatively with ACLU colleagues (in this affiliate, other ACLU affiliates, and the national office) and external partners across a range of communications platforms to effectively articulate the ACLU’s values, humanize critical civil liberties issues, and inspire change-makers in our region. The Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director.
Specific duties include:
- Engage with colleagues, community partners and community members to help identify and develop stories that highlight the pressing civil liberties issues.
- Draft, edit and proofread ACLU-SDIC statements, testimony, issue papers and correspondence.
- Assist in the writing and production of ACLU-SDIC reports and collateral materials.
- Draft OpEds that advocate for ACLU-SDIC policy and legal priorities.
- Edit, produce and ghostwrite blog posts on a range of civil liberties and civil rights issues.
- Assist in writing email action alerts and participate in email action network strategies.
- Work with Communications team to help create a steady supply of engaging content for web, email, and social media audiences.
- Work with Communications team to tell stories through video, print and other media platforms.
- Post content to ACLU-SDIC website and social media as a backup to the New Media Strategist.
- Draft talking points as a backup to the Senior Communications Strategist.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by the Communications Director.
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties encourages a diversity of candidates from various backgrounds to apply. An individual joining the Communications Department team as a Communications Associate must be committed to teamwork, have an exceptional ability to stay organized, to manage their time effectively, and possess keen attention to detail.
Additional required skills and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science or English; or five years of relevant experience required. Relevant experience shall include professional communications work, journalism, or media relations.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision and goals of the ACLU.
- Excellent overall writing skills in a number of different styles/tones
- Strong editing and research skills.
- Strong proficiency with social media platforms and Creative Cloud applications.
- Avid consumer of news and information with ability to analyze and synthesize quickly and cogently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, time management skills, and ability to manage multiple projects on a daily basis.
- A willingness to be flexible and adapt to quickly changing priorities;
- Professional and personal credibility.
- Ability to take criticism and revise work when necessary
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Ability and availability to work evenings and weekends, and travel when necessary.
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred.
Reporting & Supervision
The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Director.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: Interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, references, salary history, and two writing sample (no more than 500 words each), preferably by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
Please send application package by October 27, 2017.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.