Job Announcement: Development Assistant
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties seeks a dynamic, sophisticated full-time fundraiser to expand the affiliate’s fund development program. The ACLU fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all, through education, litigation, policy advocacy, and organizing. The ACLU promotes and defends civil rights and civil liberties, including First Amendment rights, equal protection, privacy, and due process. In the past several years, our affiliate has led cutting-edge advocacy work to expand voting rights, immigrants’ rights, and criminal justice reform in our state.
The San Diego ACLU works closely with the national ACLU headquartered in New York, as well as with the ACLU affiliates headquartered in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Together, the three California affiliates have more than 100,000 members and 130 staff in California. Located in San Diego, our ACLU affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has 32 staff, 23 board members, and an annual budget of $4 million. San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and the second largest in California. San Diego County has the third largest number of registered voters in California. Our affiliate also spans Imperial County, which is the poorest county in California.
This an extraordinary time in the history of our organization. Leading up to its 100th anniversary in 2020, the ACLU is in the midst of the most ambitious nation-wide comprehensive fundraising campaign the organization’s history, in which the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties will play a key role. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious fundraiser to join an already strong development program and help take it to the next level.
Reporting to the Donor Relations Manager the Development Assistant is responsible for providing support in planning, managing, and implementing a multi-faceted fundraising program. This is an entry-level position with significant growth and advancement opportunities as the organization continues to grow.
- Manage and maintain confidential fundraising information in the donor database and hold primary responsibility for data entry, queries, report building, and acknowledgements;
- Conducts research on prospects, including individuals, corporations and foundations identified by the development team as potential sources of private funds;
- Organize and maintain annual development calendar;
- Provide high-quality service to members, supporters, and potential supporters through frequent communication;
- Prepare materials for implementation of cultivation and stewardship strategies for prospective donors and manage donor recognition;
- Support development fundraising and cultivation events;
- Complete special projects and other duties as needed or assigned by development staff, Executive Director or Deputy Director.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers to advance the goals of the organization;
- Provide support for organization events;
- Work evenings and weekends when necessary;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Firm commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU;
- Bachelor’s and at least one year of work experience. Experience in nonprofit, advocacy or other community-based groups is preferred. Development experience is a plus;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organization skills: a strong, consistent attention to detail, ability to meet tight deadlines, and the ability to follow through on work assignments with a minimum of direct supervision;
- The ability to work on several significant projects at various stages of completion;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with diverse populations, with donors, and with staff and volunteers;
- Excellent computer skills. A strong familiarity with online communication tools. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite. Experience with InDesign and with donor databases, Salesforce preferred;
- Highly self-motivated, organized, adaptable.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: Interested individuals must send a cover letter and resume preferably by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
Please send application package by March 10, 2017.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.