Job Announcement: Legal Assistant
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU) seeks a full-time, bilingual (Spanish), dynamic team-player to join the legal department as a legal assistant.
The ACLU fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all, through education, litigation, policy advocacy, and organizing. The ACLU promotes and defends civil rights and civil liberties, including First Amendment rights, equal protection, privacy, and due process. The San Diego ACLU works collaboratively with the National ACLU headquarters in New York, as well as with the ACLU affiliates headquartered in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Together, the three California affiliates have more than 120,000 members and 150 staff in California.
Located in beautiful San Diego, our ACLU affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has 32 staff members, 23 board members, 5,000 members, and an annual budget of $4 million. San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and the second largest in California. San Diego County has the third largest number of registered voters in California. Imperial County is the poorest county in California.
Position Overview and Functions:
The full-time legal assistant, under the supervision of the Legal Program Manager, will be the initial point of contact for all intake and provide legal administrative support to staff attorneys. This position requires the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound judgment, multi-task, meet deadlines and use discretion in performing the assigned job responsibilities.
- Provide administrative support to the legal department under the supervision of the legal program manager
- Prepare expense reimbursements, check and credit card requests
- Make travel arrangements for attorneys and clients
- Draft correspondence, format and mail letters and faxes
- Organizing, filing, scanning/copying materials
- Logistical support for meetings in/out of the office
- Translations as necessary
Legal Support Responsibilities:
- Initial point of contact for all legal intake including phone calls, letters and responses; enter and track intakes into case management database; run reports
- Assistance with document preparation for large filings in state and federal court
- Assistance with the maintenance of legal files, both paper and electronic, including pleadings, discovery, correspondence, etc.
- Assist with maintaining offsite storage management
- Communicate with community organizations, groups, and associations, to educate them about ACLU mission, exchange information, and/or refer clients or issues for legal program.
- Performs other assignments and duties as assigned by the Legal Program Manager and Legal Director.
- A strong commitment to civil liberties and civil rights principles and the work of the ACLU;
- B.A. degree and prior legal assistant or secretary experience highly desired.
- Strong computer skills in Windows XP environment, Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat software. Familiarity with TimeMatters and WestlawNext a PLUS.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, meet deadlines, take initiative, maintain confidentiality, and possess strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively;
- Must have an excellent phone manner and strong interpersonal skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Fluency in Spanish required.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing, in particular, the applicant’s interest in working for the ACLU and his or her qualifications for the position described above, and a minimum of three personal references. Please put “Bilingual Legal Assistant – your name” in the subject line of your email. If possible, please include the cover letter and resume together in one PDF file.
Electronic applications are preferred. Please email to email@example.com
However, hard-copy applications can be mailed to:
ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties PO Box 87131 San Diego, CA 92138-7131
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
Application deadline is Friday, December 16, 2016.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.