New Media Strategist
New Media Strategist
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU) seeks a full-time, dynamic team-oriented New Media Strategist for our fast-paced, deadline-driven social justice organization. The Strategist will report to the Communications Director.
The ACLU fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all, through education, litigation, policy advocacy, and organizing. The ACLU promotes and defends civil rights and civil liberties, including First Amendment rights, equal protection, privacy, and due process. The San Diego ACLU works collaboratively with the ACLU affiliates headquartered in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and with a lobbying office in Sacramento. Together, the three affiliates have more than 110,000 members and 130 staff in California.
Located in San Diego, the ACLU affiliate covers the length of California’s border with Mexico. It has 30 staff members, 20 board members, 9,000 members, and an annual budget of $4 million. San Diego is the eighth largest city in the United States and the second largest in California. San Diego County has the third largest number of registered voters in California. Imperial County is the poorest county in California.
Position Overview and Functions:
The New Media Strategist will envision and design cutting-edge and intuitive digital web and print pieces to educate and engage ACLU members, activists, and the public at large.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Design and produce a range of print and interactive projects including posters, flyers, advertisements, email blasts, web graphics, landing pages, and branding materials. Follow creative work through from concept to pre-press and production.
- Interact with staff members to develop and implement designs to address their advocacy and outreach needs.
- Develop and implement social media plans and tactics across all channels of social media. Help create and curate a social media calendar and develop and create content. Monitor social media performance usage reports and track search engine results. Analyze site performance metrics and make recommendations on content, site design, or features to improve effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key social media influencers and users.
- Monitor social media trends, tools, and applications and recommend new media strategies as needed.
- Provide support to the communications team as needed, including producing materials, creating and disseminating CAN emails, seeking job bids, securing printing, proofreading, and other administrative tasks.
- Perform other projects and assignments as directed by senior staff members.
- Commitment to and knowledge of civil liberties. Familiarity with work and mission of ACLU.
- Superior design, research and writing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, graphic design, or related field OR at least five years experience as a graphic designer and/or content producer required.
- Must know general HTML and experience with content management systems (especially WordPress). Experience building micro websites preferred.
- Exceptional portfolio of publications, social media memes, and web material demonstrating proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite that showcases solid conceptual, color, typographical, and layout skills.
- 2-3 years of progressive experience working in a social media-focused role preferred. Technical knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, metrics, and tracking.
- Experience in pre-press and production and solid negotiating skills with printers and mailing houses.
- Understanding of mobile design elements and experience working on mobile projects preferred.
- Experience creating videos that tell a story and photography skills desired.
- Strong concept development and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to handle smaller tasks and large, complex projects.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, and with diverse communities.
- Spanish bilingual strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: By May 1, 2015, interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, a list of references, and salary requirements, preferably by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: New Media Strategist
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
While we intend to begin reviewing resumes on May 1, 2015, the job will remain open until the right person is found.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.