The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties has a robust advocacy team that works with federal, state, and local law and policymakers to ensure the necessary laws exist to protect our civil rights.
Below you will find our priority legislation for the year and our legislative advocacy toolkit.
Latest update: Our 2019 State Legislative Scorecard is released!
ACLU OF CALIFORNIA PRIORITY 2020 LEGISLATION
The ACLU of California, comprising the three ACLU affiliates in the state, sponsors an office in Sacramento, the ACLU of California Center for Advocacy & Policy. With 100,000 ACLU members and more than 150 staff members statewide, we work together to advance civil liberties and beat back attacks on our rights and freedoms.
Bills we sponsor/support:
- Decertify Abusive Police and Strengthen Civil Liability for Police Violence (SB 731)
- P.R.O.M.I.S.E Act (AB 1007)
- Protect Essential Workers, Expand Access to Paid (AB 3216)
- Administrative Fees (SB 144)
- The C.R.I.S.E.S Act (AB 2054)
- Strengthen Reproductive Care for People in Jails (AB 732)
- Stop Criminalizing Adolescent Behavior (AB 901)
- Free the Vote for Californians on Parole (ACA 6)
Bills we oppose:
CALIFORNIA LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY TOOLKIT
We have assembled a toolkit to guide your advocacy efforts. Our Legislative Advocacy Toolkit illustrates how to effectively talk with your legislators about issues that are important to you. If you’re looking for additional ways to get involved with our work, sign up to receive email updates and action alerts and sign up to volunteer with us.
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all through education, litigation, & policy advocacy.