Prevent Your Identity from Being Stolen
Published: November 14, 2006
The following tips for reducing your exposure to identity theft are drawn primarily from the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse:
- Eliminate those annoying telemarketing calls: (888) 382-1222 or www.donotcall.gov
- Eliminate pre-approved credit card offers: (888) 567-8688 or www.optoutprescreen.com.
- Opt-out of junk mail: www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist or by mail. $1 fee.
- Opt-out of most catalogues: [email protected] (include name and current/last address)
- Get and review your free credit report: www.annualcreditreport.com or (877) 322-8228.
- Get and review your free history of homeowner and auto insurance claims: (866) 312-8076 or www.choicetrust.com (ask for your “CLUE Report”)
- Get a free copy of the medical history the insurance companies have on you: (866) 692-6901 or www.mib.com/html/request_your_record.html
- Stop marketers from using your Tax Assessor Records: (877) 774-2094 or [email protected]
- Block Caller ID: Have your phone company block your number, or dial *67 before each call.
- Opt-out of electronic cookie-sharing with advertisers: www.networkadvertising.org.
- Sign up for the ACLU’s News and Action E-newsletter, sent twice a month, to stay up to date on privacy and other important civil liberties matters
- And, most importantly, support the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse and the ACLU.