You have rights—don’t give them away!
The American Civil Liberties Union works every day—in the courts, legislatures, and in the streets—to preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to everyone in this country. The U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the California Constitution spell out our hopes for the kind of society that we want to be, and protect our rights, including:
- Right to equal protection, that is, the right to be treated equally, regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
- Right to due process, that is, the right to be treated fairly by the government whenever the loss of liberty (being arrested, detained, or questioned) or property (being searched) is at stake.
- Right to privacy, that is, the right to be free from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private business.
- Right to free speech, association, and assembly, that is, the right to speak your mind, to meet up with whomever you choose, and to call on your government officials, publicly if you like, to make changes if you have any concerns.
Below are our most requested Know Your Rights materials.
- What to Do If You’re Stopped by the Police – a short listing to keep in your wallet
- What to Do If You’re Stopped by the Police – a more detailed brochure
- Your Rights if caught in a law enforcement trolley sweep
- Your Rights if caught in a curfew sweep in San Diego
- Your Rights with border or immigration agents
- Your Rights if you believe you are a victim of police brutality
- Your Right to Film the Police (ACLU’s free Mobile Justice App)
- Know Your Rights – California’s AB 60 Driver’s Licenses
- Applying for a California Driver’s License Under AB 60
- LGBT Rights – a short listing to keep in your wallet
- LGBTQ Student Rights at School – small booklet
- LGBTQ Student Rights – a more detailed flyer
- Conoce sus derechos – los estudiantes LGBTQ
- Transgender Rights when using restrooms
- Your Right to Protest
- An Activist’s Guide to Free Speech, Protests, and Demonstrations
- Your right to film the police
- Visit our webpage, My School My Rights, to learn more about your rights as students
- Visit our webpage for all your voting rights resources
- Guide to Direct and Emergency Services in San Diego County
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties fights for individual rights and fundamental freedoms for all through education, litigation, & policy advocacy.