Job Announcement: Senior Policy Strategist – Immigrant Rights
The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU-SDIC) is seeking a full-time Senior Policy Strategist- Immigrant Rights to work as part of a statewide team focused on protecting California’s foreign born residents. California is home to more than 10 million immigrants—about one in four of the foreign-born population nationwide. The position will hold a variety of responsibilities related to the analysis, development of political advocacy strategy and coordination of organizing, communications and coalition activities that will focus on advancing local and statewide immigrant rights policy campaigns. This position will report directly to the Advocacy Director in the San Diego affiliate and work closely with the Director for Immigrant Rights for ACLU of California affiliates as well as the broader Immigrant Rights Team.
The ACLU-SDIC utilizes an integrated approach to our advocacy work and has a proven track record of success by combining litigation, policy advocacy, legislation, research and analysis, public education, strategic communications, and community organizing. The Senior Policy Advocate will be responsible for leveraging relationships and providing vision, leadership, power analysis and support ACLU staff from multiple affiliates and departments in order to maximize success and impact for immigrant rights advocacy campaigns. This Senior Policy Advocate must possess the skills to assess a complicated problem, formulate a strategy to fix the problem, and a demonstrated ability to implement, troubleshoot, and evaluate the overall advocacy strategy.
About the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties and ACLU of California Affiliates
The ACLU-SDIC is a civil liberties and civil rights organization that uses the tools of litigation, legislation, policy, communications, and organizing to advance equality, freedom, and justice. The ACLU-SDIC is part of the ACLU of California, a collaborative of the three ACLU affiliates in California. The ACLU’s California offices are located in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, the Inland Empire, Fresno, San Francisco, and Sacramento. Together, the three affiliates have more than 160,000 members and 160 staff people in California.
In addition to our sister organizations, the ACLU values partnerships and collaboration with community organizations and groups across the state.
Key areas of work
Based in San Diego, the Senior Policy Advocate will report to the Advocacy Director and will focus in these key areas of work:
- Develop strategic advocacy campaign plans that help align and leverage internal ACLU organizational resources to support broader immigrant rights movement organizations in California.
- Help build and manage a network of organizational and individual partners.
- Help with other immigrant rights team campaigns as needed.
- Complete assigned project-related tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree required and five years’ experience OR a master’s degree or law degree with experience. Relevant experience may include program coordination, advocacy, policy analysis, immigrant rights organizing, campaigning, etc.
- Proven track record in developing and leading successful statewide organizing, policy advocacy and/or political campaigns
- Experience in developing power analysis /power mapping
- Ability to engage, train and activate organizational partners, key allies and impacted communities on campaign’s policy impact
- Experience managing staff, volunteers and complex coalition relationships
- Technical Skills: Strong proficiency with the use of software platforms and high degree of comfort with multiple technology applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, databases, and website applications.
- Communications: Demonstrated ability to maintain high-quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with team members and organizational partners. Strong verbal and written communications. Ability to negotiate, compromise and problem solve in coalition settings.
While it is not a requirement for this position, we are interested in candidates who have knowledge of or experience working in the immigrant rights field, as well as candidates who have experience working on a political campaign (either candidate or issue campaigns). Please describe any relevant experience in your application materials.
The ideal team member will also possess
- Excellent interpersonal skills, time management skills, and ability to juggle multiple projects on a daily basis.
- An established network of relationships in California amongst immigrant rights organizations and leaders
- Ability and willingness to be a self-starter who can work independently and in teams.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to be a productive member of a diverse community, respect differences while working toward shared goals, be comfortable with periods of ambiguity, and provide constructive participation in ongoing program development.
- A desire and vision to protect and advance immigrant rights in California.
- Valid driver’s license; some travel is required.
Reporting & supervision
The Senior Policy Advocate will report to the Advocacy Director and be a crucial member of the ACLU of California’s statewide Immigrant Rights Team.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Application Procedure: Interested individuals must send a cover letter, resume, list of references, salary history and a writing sample (no more than 5 pages), preferably by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail to:
ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties
ATTN: Deputy Director
PO Box 87131
San Diego, CA 92138-7131
Please send application package by March 20, 2017.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and veterans.