WATCH CALIFORNIA SUPREME COURT ORAL ARGUMENTS ON PROP 8
Please join the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties, The Center, and the Center Advocacy Project for a live screening of the oral arguments on why Prop. 8 should be repealed. The screening will be followed by a brief legal analysis of the arguments by the Legal Director of the San Diego ACLU, David Blair-Loy, with lots of time for Q&A and discussion.
WHAT: Screening of oral arguments before the California Supreme Court on why Prop. 8 should be repealed
WHEN: Thursday, March 5, 9 am – noon
Legal analysis directly following the conclusion of arguments
WHERE: The Center, 3909 Centre St., Hillcrest
WHY: Get the facts, have your questions answered and let your voice be heard! Help win back marriage equality!
Why we should invalidate Prop 8
- Prop 8 is a radical and unprecedented change to the California Constitution that puts all Californians at risk
- Prop 8 defeats the very purpose of our constitution, which is to protect minorities and to make sure the law treats everyone equally
- Prop 8 marks the first time the initiative process has successfully been used to change the California Constitution to take away a fundamental right from a particular group and to mandate goverment discrimination against a minority
- If Prop 8 is upheld, the courts will no longer have a meaningful role in protecting minority groups or women, since any decision prohibiting discrimination could be reversed by a simple majority
- The Court is being asked to endorce an important limitation on the use of the initiative power, which does not permit fundamental changes to the Constitution to be made by a simple majority
- Our freedom depends on courts retaining the independence to endorce constitutional limitations; those limitations protect all of us